Friday, November 6, 2009

Wee One



This is hard. Today was the first day I was back at work and wee one was home by himself. Ultimately, I know he is acting differently, but I don't want to really come to terms with it. Aside from the fact that he has a hard time walking, he just doesn't seem to know what is going on around him, and I have yet to see his sweet smile. Today when I came home at lunch to take him out, usually when he'd be fast asleep he was standing staring at the kitchen. Perhaps willing the treats toward him :). And then when I came home later, he had slid off his bed and couldn't get up. And my heart broke. I knew he hadn't been that way for long since Toby had taken him out an hour or so earlier, but still. I need to call the vet, but well, I'm not really sure I'm prepared to for anything that might be next.

2 comments:

Juanita said...

I'm so sorry :-(

A vet once told my mom that you must never let vets push you into anything in terms of THE tough decision. She said if old dogs still have an interest in food and their pain can be managed, then they are ok. Treat them as you would old people.

As such, my parents are nursing a 16 year old maltese poodle who is deaf, mostly blind, slides out on his legs every now and then (and has knocked on deaths door a couple of times) but still eats, has bowel movements and shows interest in life.

He just barks when he needs to be carried out to the garden and when he is hungry. Sometimes he gets lost in the garden and you'll have to go find him from his distant barking, but other than that we all just treat him like a really old person and wont let any vet tell us otherwise for the moment.

This might not count (I don't know) in your and Buster's case, but I was hoping you could take some hope from it.

Thinking of you two.

LBk said...

No, I very much appreciate the advice and we are definitely taking it one day at a time. Thankfully, out of sheer luck when I adopted the little guy I had a great vet that just happened to be a few blocks away and we've stuck with her for the last few years, and she's being incredibly supportive, so I am eternally grateful for her.

And I very much agree with you--as long as he is eating and is not in too much pain, he is going to stay in this "nursing home" for as long as he likes :).